Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kimberly Faith

I walked into my moms bedroom, looking at the evidence left behind. The room smelled strongly of paramedics and bleach. I shook my head, still not able to believe it.

My little sister had just been born in the bathroom floor.

My mom's water broke early this morning, around 4:30 am. My dad woke me and my sister up at 5:00, and my aunt Candace arrived 15 minutes later. The doctor had told my mom she could stay home as long as she felt she could, but at 6:40 am we decided it was time to go to the hospital. My aunt geussed by her contractions (which were 3 minutes apart) that she was probably dialated to a 6. I had made some calls to family; my grandparents and my cousin Taylor were going to meet us at the hospital. While Candace went next door to tell my grandmother what was going on, me and my sisters were getting in the car. Just as Kelsey buckled Olivia in her seat, I heard my dad yelling from inside the house,

"GABBY! GAAAABBBBYYYY!!!!"

I ran inside and said, "What??"
"Hurry, get Candace and Call 911, mom is having the baby!!"

"WHAT?!!"

I ran next door, and Candace was just walking out the door.
"Call 911! Call 911! She's having the baby!"
The same reaction:
"WHAT?!!"

We ran over, and my dad already had them on the phone. My mother was on her hands and knees in the bathroom floor. By the time my dad hung up, the baby's head was halfway out. Kelsey sat with Olivia on the couch, hoping to keep her out of the way.
The next 15 minutes are a blur. I remember my dad and Candace started to panic because the baby's head was almost out, and they couldn't hear her crying.
"Get the syringe!" They kept saying...
But none of us could find it.
After lots of yelling "GET THE SNOT SUCKER!" they finally told us where it was, but by that time the ambulance was already there and Kimberly, the new baby, was born.
Candace and I were on the phone a lot for the next hour. While the EMT's were putting the baby in an emergency blanket, she finally started crying, and I about broke down. I was on the phone with my grandparents during this, and telling them what happened--they were freaking out of course.
They loaded my mom and the baby onto the stretcher, and my mom looked like she had been crying. After they loaded them in and took them to the hospital, we all stayed home to clean up--Candace, Taylor, Nanny, Kelsey, and me. We also had Bella and Olivia with us. Candace had to use bleach to get all the stuff out of the bathroom floor, which explains the smell. ;)

Kimberly Faith McGee is 9 pounds 3 ounces, and 20 1/2 in. long, a beautiful, chubby, completely healthy miracle.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds exciting/terrifying/wild all at the same time...but anyhow, congrads on the new sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was, me and my aunt were pretty much fried the rest of the day..But ya thanks!

    ReplyDelete