Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Story From Jean Berdy

Berdy was our Haitian interpreter in Haiti. Since I got back, he has kept in touch with my team and we're friends. I was talking to Berdy on the phone the other day and he said, "I want to tell you a story." And I said, "Okay, lets hear it!"

This is what he told me in his exact words:

(inserts in parentheses mine)

"When the earthquake happen, I was trapped in my house, and when I got out I find some of my friends and family and I thought they were dead. I was scared so I pray and God help me (he got saved). (I assume this is months after the earthquake) I told my friend, "I want to intern at Mission of Hope and he said 'you cannot'." and then I tell him, "Well but I want to go there and learn how to speak English, but still he tell me 'you cannot'." You see, he doubt me and he tell me I cannot do it. But I did not listen to my friend, I went to Mission of Hope and I start to learn how to speak English and I get an education, and it was very hard but I was so grateful. Then after three months I was at the Mission of Hope, they say, "There is a team coming, they are four girls and you will be their interpreter." I was so excited because they were my first team, and they were just angels and I love them so much, they were so nice to me and so much fun. And now I cannot wait for them to come back. The end!"
And then he laughs. Which is something Haitians do a lot when they know Jesus.
"Now I want you to tell your friends my story, okay?"
I laughed and said, "Sure thing, Berdy!"

Berdy is a very happy guy, even with the hard things he has faced in his life. He's several years older than us, but he likes rap music and praise music, and he loves the ocean and Facebook and being an interpreter. He made our week fantastic and we really appreciated him. Hope you guys enjoyed his story, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment