Thursday, June 28, 2012

Just A Little Bit of Heaven...

Today has been one of those days where everything--and I mean everything--is going wrong and getting in my way. This morning, I couldn't find the sandpaper in the shed. I ran out of coffee grounds. The kids were arguing, fussing, and hitting. And Olivia threw up.

So yeah, I'm a little frustrated. And don't you start laughing!

But these are the kind of days where I need God most. Last night, I went out in the backyard to clean up from a water balloon fight I'd had with some friends and my sister that afternoon. I was listening to my iPod while doing this. After throwing the last of the colorful pieces in the trash can, one of my favorite songs came on. It goes like this, you may have heard it on the radio:

And all at once, heads are spinning faster like a hurricane. 'Cause all we did was nothing but a Love still came, & it's bringing in good news, that love is coming back for you.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what got into me. Maybe it's because I've always had trouble with the "love" part of God. Or perhaps it was because I walked down to the front of the church for the first time the other day when my friends and I went to hear Ken Freeman. Or maybe I'd just had a good day.
Whatever it was, I just started running across the yard, jumped in the air, spun around...I was so HAPPY! I've never had a moment like that...ever. I was just overjoyed that Jesus really does love me. And why in the world would he choose me anyway?? It just fascinates me that he doesn't care how bad I've screwed up. It never gets old for me. Which probably explains why I never shutup about it.

After my little, uh...outburst, or whatever you want to call it, I got on the swing for a while. It was about 9:00 pm. It had finally cooled down outside, the mosquitoes weren't biting, the katydids were singing, there was a little breeze...and that song, oh my gosh, it was STUCK IN MY HEAD! No more horrible sentences running through my mind, no more beating the crap out of myself, no more worrying if so-and-so was okay, or if such-and-such needed to be done...it was just me and God. Just a little bit of heaven, right there in my little backyard in Oklahoma.
And I'm so thankful for it, because I needed a little bit of heaven.

Love is coming back for all of us who have a hard time getting it through our brains that all we did was nothing but a Love still came, and it's bringing in good news, that love is coming back like a hurricane...

No comments:

Post a Comment